A 3-Day, 3-Night Trip
Journey among our purple mountains of majesty, national parks, acclaimed memorials, historic sites and celebrations of our freedoms. Bow your heads and place your hand to your heart as we remember the men and women who gave the ultimate sacrifice. Discover the tragedy and triumph through the history of the Laurel Highlands.
- Visit the grave of British Major General Edward Braddock, who led an ill-fated expedition to capture the French-held Fort Duquesne in 1755.
- Explore the Fort Necessity National Battlefield, the site of George Washington's first military engagement and only defeat.
- Tour the Laurel Highlands Falls Area Visitor Center at Ohiopyle State Park and learn about George Washington's experience on the Youghiogheny River.
- Honor our nation's heroes at the Mount Pleasant Veterans Park, featuring a new state-of-the-art digital memorial wall.
- Check out the Westmoreland County International Airshow at the Arnold Palmer Regional Airport, which features a performance by the world's first single-engine jet fighter.
- Take a step back in time at Fort Ligonier, where you can see Washington's personal memoirs and saddle pistols.
- Spend some time shopping and dining in charming Ligonier.
- "A common field one day, a field of honor forever." The Flight 93 National Memorial serves as a beautiful place of remembrance, featuring a Visitor Center, Memorial Plaza, Wall of Names and the Tower of Voices.
- Visit the Flight 93 Memorial Chapel, a spiritual memorial of perpetual tribute in honor of the heroes of Flight 93.
- Explore the Quecreek Mine Rescue Site, where nine miners were rescued from 240 feet beneath the earth in a never-before-attempted effort in 2002.
- Experience a flag ceremony with the Somerset County Flag Committee.