You may be familiar with many Laurel Highlands businesses and attractions, but you may not know what these spots looked like "back in the day." Corresponding with National Travel and Tourism Week's theme of "Travel Then and Now," we collected both vintage and current photos of Laurel Highlands properties to see how they've progressed.
The Palace Theatre
The Palace Theatre, located in downtown Greensburg, opened in 1926 as the Manos Theatre. Fast forward 92 years, and there are still many remnants of the original theatre's French renaissance-style structure in place.
Seven Springs Mountain Resort
What started as a public skiing area near Adolph Dupre's home in the 1930s is now Pennsylvania's largest four season resort. In addition to more than 285 acres of ski and snowboard terrain, Seven Springs Mountain Resort offers golfing, mountain biking, a spa, zip lining, fine dining and more.
Rafting on the Youghiogheny River
Not much has changed on the Youghiogheny River! More than 50 years ago, outfitters in Ohiopyle began renting rafts, duckies and other boats and equipment to visitors, and of course provided guides to help them during their float.
Idlewild and SoakZone
In 1878, the owner of the Ligonier Valley Railroad dedicated Idlewild Park for picnic purposes and pleasure grounds for railroad employees. In 1931, rides, pavilions, lunchrooms, a bandstand and carousel were constructed in the park, and some are still part of Idlewild today. Now named Idlewild and SoakZone, the amusement park has been named the Best Children's Park for eight consecutive years.
Mountain Playhouse, a charming historic gristmill turned into a theater, has put on live professional shows for 79 seasons! This throwback is from 1939, prior to the theater's opening day.
Summit Inn Resort
The historic Summit Inn Resort opened its doors to the public in 1907. Today, Summit Inn Resort is one of the last remaining grand porch hotels in America.
These photos may have been taken decades apart, but Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater hasn't lost its beauty. The house has been perfectly kept, inside and out, since it was opened for tours in 1964.
Steelers Training Camp
The Pittsburgh Steelers call Saint Vincent College home each summer for a few weeks while they practice for the upcoming season. TBT to Chuck Noll and his players taking the field in 1981; fast forward 36 years, and Mike Tomlin coaches players on the field that was named after former coach Noll in 2007.