Ligonier – April 28, 2023 – Spring is in the air, and shoppers don’t have much longer to wait until the Ligonier Country Market (LCM) launches its 2023 market season.
The LCM will kick off its weekly Saturday market May 20 and will welcome shoppers back for the market’s 48th season. The LCM is held from 8 a.m. to noon, rain or shine, at the Loyalhanna Watershed Association Farm, which is located off West Main Street and Route 30 in Ligonier Township.
This year, the LCM’s regular season will run through Saturday, Sept. 30, with the annual Holiday Market to be held Saturday, Nov. 4, outdoors on the market grounds. The Night Market is June – September on the 3rd Thursday of the month on the Ligonier Diamond.
“The market vendors and staff are busy gearing up for this season, and we’re eager to welcome back our loyal customers and meet new shoppers and visitors too,” said Cari Frei, the LCM’s executive director.
The LCM hosts up to 130 farm, craft, and prepared food and drink vendors each Saturday during its season. The market operates on the premise that vendors must “Make It, Bake It, or Grow It” to participate — meaning shoppers can buy products made locally and regionally by the families and small business owners who are on hand selling them.
“From seasonal produce and pasture-raised meats, to artisan-made crafts, to small-batch wines and spirits, along with chef-made, ready-to-eat foods, the Ligonier Country Market has something for everyone,” Frei said. “We’re proud to offer one of the region’s most unique shopping experiences, and we invite everyone to join us throughout this season to buy some amazing products, enjoy the music and other activities, and spend a day outdoors with family and friends.”
Frei also invited visitors to check out the many merchants, shops, restaurants, and tourist attractions in Ligonier, Latrobe, and throughout the Laurel Highlands, both before and after shopping at the market.
“Plan a day trip or book a hotel room for the weekend, and then shop at the market and check out everything the Laurel Highlands region has to offer,” Frei said. “It can make for a great getaway.”
Market Sprouts Plans Activities, Welcomes New Mascots
The LCM’s Market Sprouts Kids’ Club has grown to become one of the market’s most popular and signature attractions.
Market Sprouts enables children to make arts and crafts, learn about agriculture, and even try their hands at planting flowers. Held near the LCM’s Children’s Garden, the activities are provided at no cost to families and are supervised by adults with required security clearances.
Upcoming Market Sprouts activities, which are held from 9 a.m. to noon, will include the following:
• Saturday, May 20 — Garden Planting: Help plant the produce for the year and make a plan to take it home when it is ready. This activity is sponsored by the Weeders and Seeders.
• Saturday, May 27 — Bird Feeders: Make a feeder at the market or take the materials and make it at home.
• Saturday, June 3 — Plant a Pumpkin: Grab a pumpkin seed, have your photo taken, and start a journal for the journey, and then bring your pumpkin to the market on Sept. 16 to paint it.
• Saturday, June 10 — Katie Rocks & Rolls: Paint a rock and give it to a friend or loved one. This event honors the memory of our dear friend and LCM regular Katie Smith.
• Saturday, June 17 — Father’s Day Kites: Take home a great gift for Dad.
This season — joining mascot “Lilly Lavender,” played by Addison Gray of Latrobe — Market Sprouts will welcome two new mascots: “Pepper Pumpkin” (played by local student Leah McCall) and “Anna Appleby” (played by Anna Huss of Ligonier).
“Welcoming our new mascots in 2023 will ensure the longevity of this amazing program and that a peer will be leading kids in Market Sprouts activities well into the future,” Frei said. “We invite all children to stop, visit the Market Sprouts tent, and enjoy these fun and free events.”
Musical Entertainment and Other Special Features
The LCM also offers musical entertainment and other Special Features on select Saturdays throughout the market season. Activities scheduled for May and June include:
• Saturday, June 3: Tim Schmider (musical entertainment)
• Saturday, June 15: The Evergreens (musical entertainment)
• Saturday, June 17: Laura Thurston (musical entertainment)
• Saturday, June 24: Heavenly Grace (musical entertainment)
Before attending the market each Saturday, shoppers should visit ligoniercountrymarket.com and check the LCM’s Facebook page for activities, news, and updates.