A 4-Day, 3-Night Trip
Dig in to the roots of Route 119 in the Laurel Highlands. This easy-to-travel roadway links historic sites, charming towns, exciting attractions and gorgeous countryside all together! Load up and get ready for a progressive road trip.
- Begin your journey at the south end of PA Route 119 at Friendship Hill National Historic Site, a stunning historic estate that was once home to U.S. Secretary of Treasury Albert Gallatin.
- An important spur off of your tract includes the National Road. This route serves as a scenic gateway to the Laurel Highlands and grants access to notable sites such as Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater and Kentuck Knob, Ohiopyle State Park, Fort Necessity National Battlefield and many other impressive sites. Choose your experience for the day and be sure to take advantage of the delicious dining locations for lunch.
- As you wind back down the foothills of the Allegheny Front, enjoy a stately stop at Mount Saint Macrina, a present-day monastery that features unique history and glorious grounds.
- Grab your seats for a delicious dining experience at Caporella's Italian Ristorante.
- Enjoy an evening of entertainment at the State Theatre Center for the Arts in downtown Uniontown. Be sure to take a moment to admire the architecture and local history.
- Rise and shine with refreshments and fascinating exhibits at the Connellsville Canteen.
- Explore the distillery museum, spring house and blooming gardens at West Overton Village and Museum, the birthplace of Henry Clay Frick!
- Plan a stop in pleasant Mount Pleasant, a sweet town loaded with great restaurants, shopping and charming parks.
- Sip and shop under the hundred-year-old trees at Bella Terra Vineyards, one of the newest wineries in the area.
- There's always room for more! Enjoy midday treats and more wonderful wine at the beautiful Greendance Winery at Sand Hill. If you've had enough of the wine sampling, enjoy berry picking and the wonderful ambiance of the grounds.
- Fuel your day with modern coffee and fresh, locally-sourced baked goods at Stanton Daily Grind.
- Regale the significance of the area with a guided tour of Historic Hanna's Town. This reconstructed frontier settlement describes daily life and events in western Pennsylvania during the American Revolution.
- Built to inspire and engage, the Westmoreland Museum of American Art is a place for people from all corners of the world to gather and experience American art.
- Enjoy shopping and dining in bustling downtown Greensburg, a short walk from the museum. Be sure to stop in The Palace Theatre for a peak or, if you can't get enough of the area's notable entertainment schedule, take in another show!
- Discover the military tactics that decided the fate of the Pennsylvania frontier in 1763 during the Native American uprising known as Pontiac's War at Bushy Run Battlefield.
- A local favorite, Rizzo's Malabar Inn will take you back to the old country with flavors, decor and most importantly, a warm greeting.
- Wander in one of area's eight state parks. Keystone State Park will bid you the perfect farewell with picturesque views, wildlife and an opportunity to stretch your legs before your journey home.